The company is recognised world-wide for expertise in the design, installation, service, and maintenance of environmentally responsible refrigeration systems.
Industrial refrigeration systems that use hydrofluorocarbon refrigerants (HFC), that are poorly designed and maintained, can contribute significantly to global warming. This is due to the refrigerant having a high global warming potential (GWP), giving rise to direct emissions because of leaks resulting from poor maintenance, and increased indirect emissions because of inefficient system design.
Therefore, 3CL promotes the use of natural refrigerants, such as ammonia and carbon dioxide. Both are excellent long term refrigerant choices and are climate neutral. Ammonia has zero ozone depletion and zero GWP, whilst carbon dioxide has a GWP of just 1 and is the zero basis for the entire GWP refrigerant scale. Furthermore, carbon dioxide has no flammability or toxic risks.
In addition to our promotion of natural refrigerants, 3CL always designs for maximum efficiency, to minimise the indirect carbon dioxide emissions by reducing the absorbed power of the refrigeration system.
We are committed to minimising the environmental impact of our activities and aim to achieve continual improvement in environmental performance by:
- Encouraging sub-contractors, designers, and suppliers to adopt environmental policies and management systems that are satisfactory to us
- Reducing the environmental impacts of our sites and their effects on their local communities by keeping sites clean and tidy; and adopting reasonable controls for preventing air, ground, water, or noise pollution
- Making use of opportunities to minimise waste and to reuse or recycle materials
- Training employees and promoting environmental awareness and commitment
- Ensuring compliance with current legislation, regulations, codes of practice and other requirements on environmental matters relevant to our operations
- Ensuring the efficient use of natural resource
As well as installing environmentally responsible refrigeration systems, 3CL has installed a solar panel array to minimise our carbon footprint, which powers our led office and workshop lighting, and our office heating & cooling system by air source heat pumps.
The solar panel array is supported by the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.